A Lot About Us

A Lot About Us

About Me

My photo
We are the Caldwells. Justin, Nicole, our little guys, Grayson, Baylor, and Rowan, and our angel daughters, Faith and Avery.

Monday, December 23, 2013

EDUCATING OUR LITTLES- PT 3

This post is part of a series. You can go to the beginning by clicking here.

During my research for schools we were quickly able to rule out a few things. Public school was never really an option for us. There were moments in the process where we revisited the possibility and looked into our options outside of our base or assigned school, but it never felt right and we never seriously considered it. Next, our initial reason for leaning towards private education was for sound biblical teaching and the hope that our children would not spend the majority of their early academic and formative years being influenced by individuals that may or may not share our beliefs. That fact alone ruled out Charter Schools next. I think they are a great option for families simply interested in avoiding the public school setting (although they are technically public), but it did not fit our needs. The only options left were private Christian school or home schooling. Justin was not a fan of the home school option so we began visiting private schools.

At this point I was leaning toward a private school near our home that I had heard wonderful things about and without visiting it was our number one choice. We were able to squeeze in visits to a few others before this school had an open house/parent information meeting. We left each visit knowing that place wasn't right for us for one reason or another. Finally the evening of our visit to the number one choice came. We went, despite the fact that I was exhausted, and I was so glad we did. In fact, we almost didn't go. I told Justin early in the day that I didn't feel up to it. At the last minute I called him back while we was on his way home and I told him I just felt that we needed to make it to that visit. That was totally a God thing.

We went to the visit and we loved it. It was just what we were looking for. Their focus on Kingdom Education was an answer to prayer. It was a beautiful school with wonderful administrators. I looked over the Kindergarten curriculum and began to wonder if our oldest would be prepared. He was not interested in early academics at all. It had taken him forever to learn his colors and numbers/letters weren't really emerging yet. The course of study seemed advanced in comparison to public school. I appreciated that but feared he would not be ready. He is bright but at that time he was totally focused on being a four-year old boy and nothing about academics interested him.

Let me back up a little and say that over the months leading up to this and since closing my business I had begun working a little on my own. I had set up a small practice and had a caseload that was enough to provide some support to the financial needs of our family as well as give me an outlet to use the skills I had spent lots of higher education money acquiring. I was mostly at home and working a little.

During our visit to this school the principal and I had a conversation about my line of work. It was nonchalant and casual. She mentioned that they had a contract speech pathologist on staff and asked if she could get may card. Two days after the visit the contract therapist called me, she explained she was relocating, and asked if I would be interested in talking with the school about the position. I was in awe. It was an amazing work of God. He had me in just the right place at the right time. Several conversations and meetings later the Lord saw fit to provide me with an opportunity to contract with the school.

I began working at the school as a contractor the following August as Grayson began his last year of preschool. It was a huge blessing and I am currently still in that same position. That place has been a huge blessing. I love the people, the families, the focus on Christ. It is wonderful. For the following five months we were certain all of our children would spend their entire academic careers there.

Now, I need to get upstairs to wrap some Christmas gifts. This is going to have to turn into a four-part post. I hate to be long winded but I love the way God used every step of this process to move us and change our hearts. I can't leave out any of the miraculous details. To be continued. . . Again

No comments: