A Lot About Us

A Lot About Us

About Me

My photo
We are the Caldwells. Justin, Nicole, our little guys, Grayson, Baylor, and Rowan, and our angel daughters, Faith and Avery.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

EDUCATING OUR LITTLES- PT 2

This is the second part of a post series. To start at the beginning click here.

As most parents know our oldest son's years passed more quickly than we could have ever imagined. We easily chose a church preschool based on proximity to our offices and reputation. In those years we lost our twins and welcomed our second son. To say we had a lot going on is the understatement of a lifetime.

I should back up and explain a little about my work situation as it played a pretty big role in how we got to where we are today. Just before Grayson was born I took over as a managing partner in a large multi-disciplinary practice in our area. Our team included speech pathologists (my area), occupational therapy, and psychology. We employed about 25 clinicians and administrative staff. It was what I thought I always wanted to do. My career goal had always been to own my own practice and it was happening a lot earlier in my career than I ever expected. Justin and I had prayed over the career move and were confident God was leading us in that direction. I am certain He was, but for different reasons than I could have ever imagined.

Fast-forward to the Fall of 2011. We were about to welcome our third baby and life had taken more than one unexpected turn. Owning and operating a large practice was not as enjoyable as I had imagined. Managing people and all of their gripes and complaints was far from enjoyable. The industry was also a lot more cut-throat that I had anticipated and in those years I was stabbed in the back by what I thought were loyal employees more times than I can even count. It was a constant struggle to watch people who called themselves Christians steal, lie, and cheat. Don't get me wrong, I had some wonderful team members. Some of them I am still in touch with and still call friends. However, they were few and far between. Additionally, as my children began to grow at what felt like warp speed I had a constant ache in my heart that my time was being spent in the wrong place. Instead of spending time at home with my children and being there when they needed me, I was constantly spending the best of my time and energy working to keep other people happy and at no real benefit to my family. Sure, I made my salary but it was not where near fair compensation for what I was dealing with.

A few months prior to Rowan's birth the ache in my heart became unbearable. I spent time in the Word studying and praying. Asking God to direct my path. I was so certain a few years prior He had very clearly led me to this business opportunity. It was scary to think He might not have me stay with it. Justin and I talked and prayed some more. There was no denying it. The scriptures indicated and the Lord was showing us that I was neglecting my role at home. I specifically came to Titus many times during these days and it was convicting. Specifically Titus 2:3-5

" 3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, 4 so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. "

God laid this scripture on my heart and I really wrestled with it. In the end it was clear and His words were unwavering in my heart. I was at that time very clearly not loving my husband and family the way he had called me to. The majority of my time and energy was spent running a business. Our home, which should have been a priority for me, was not where I was working. Do I think women should only work in the home? Not entirely. However, I do think God clearly desires for our home to be our first work responsibility. If my home isn't being cared for then I am failing at my role in our family.

After lots of prayer and hearing God clearly again Justin and I knew it was time to close up shop and bring me home. It was an easy decision once the Lord spoke clearly to me. Anything else would have been disobedient. My heart knew the change was necessary. We closed the business and didn't look back.

After our third boy was born our oldest turned four. He was a little over a year before being kindergarten eligible in our state. The private schools and charter schools begin their application processes around December or January of the year prior. By the Spring of 2012 it was time to start visiting and researching schools to be ready for applying that following winter. I started researching and our journey continued.

No comments: