A Lot About Us

A Lot About Us

About Me

My photo
We are the Caldwells. Justin, Nicole, our little guys, Grayson, Baylor, and Rowan, and our angel daughters, Faith and Avery.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

YOU WIN SOME, YOU LOSE SOME

Most days I feel like a pretty average mom. Some days I feel like a great mom. Some days I feel like a terrible mom. I am only going to write about today because I would bet that I am not the only mom that rides the roller coaster regularly of going from totally get it right on to totally messing things up. I bet some of you readers feel the same way. If you don't, lie so I don't feel so bad about myself. :-)

Today started and I felt like a great mom! I got up, went for my walk, had some quiet time with God, and got home to start my morning routine in time. I started my day with prayer and was looking forward to what God would present today. Fast forward about an hour and a half. Grayson had done well with going to the potty all morning and we were out the door on time with everything needed for our very busy day (including all 4 changes of clothes, 2 million pairs of big boy undies, wipes, smarties, etc.). Despite getting stuck in traffic for an eternity we made it to preschool on time. Despite the fact that he said "Potty?" half-way to preschool and heard for the first time, "sweetie you are going to have to wait" Grayson did not have an accident on the way to school. We got to school and after being in the car for an hour, he was dry. We went inside and he went on the potty. I took him to his class and his teachers made a huge deal about his big boy underwear. Grayson beamed with pride in front of all of his little buddies. I was on cloud nine. I drove all the way to work thanking God for the opportunity to have such a blessed life and such a wonderful family.

Then I get to work. Here comes the part where the roller coaster reaches the peak and you are about to drop off on the other side at a raging fast speed. That is what the rest of my day was like. Out of control, too fast, and wild. I soon realized I had too much on my agenda for work. I was almost late for my big meeting today and had to postpone eating my lunch (which I left at home) until I could pick something up after.

Justin picked Grayson up from preschool (because he is an amazing father and husband) while I was at my meeting. I get back to my office to find that Grayson is not sleeping and is refusing his nap. That puts a kink in my afternoon because I had some work things that needed my attention and I was pretty much counting on him sleeping for a couple of hours. Justin then informs me that Grayson missed one of his hourly potty visits at preschool and had an accident. I asked why he missed and Justin responds "It was picture day and they were busy." What?!?!? Picture day?!?!?! How did I forget that? I am not THAT mother that forgets picture day and sends her son in regular clothes for class pictures. Well today I was THAT mom. GREAT! He wasn't dressed like a total bum, but it could have been much better. We will not be buying these pics.

I made the decision to keep Grayson at the office for a while because I had some things there that could not be postponed. I figured he would eventually take his nap. Well we had some wild kids in this afternoon and Grayson got no nap. Probably due to a combination of his on fatigue, mommy being too busy to really attend to him, and the overall business of the office Grayson had two accidents there. I can happily report that he did stop wetting once he realized and asked to go to the potty where he finished. That is a good thing.

I end up having to be at work until 5 and still didn't get everything done. I get in the car and we are happily on our way to the store when I look back at my sleeping son and realize he never got his nap. Good job mom. I had no choice but to go to the grocery store. It was that or not have dinner. I wake up my soundly sleeping child to drag him into the chaos of a grocery store at 5:30 on a week day. As soon as we get in and he spots the food he starts to cry and say "eat-eat". No I did not forget to give him a snack earlier in the afternoon? Oh yes, I did. I quickly find him something to snack on and now I am that mom who is letting her kid snack (dropping crumbs along the way I am sure) an hour before dinner. Can you see me now sitting at the bottom of the hill, broke down, without the energy to get up to the next peak?

I make the shopping trip as quick as possible and get home where Justin is pulling in to provide me with some much needed help because by this point in the day I am starting to think I am losing my mind. (A side note is that Grayson did not have an accident at the store and held it until we got home. YAY!) I get the groceries put away and dinner on the table just in time to realize that Grayson is probably not very hungry after his big snack and he is too tired to give real eating a whirl anyway. He was not a happy camper at dinner. Who could blame him after the afternoon he had?

We got dinner finished and cleaned up. Justin gave Grayson his bath and got him ready for bed. All the while I realize I had not ordered the shoes for the wedding I am in in one month. Yes, those shoes should have been ordered weeks ago and now I am THAT bridesmaid. Anyway, we tucked Grayson in, said his prayers, and he went off to dream land. The best thing was he hugged me a kissed me just the same as he does every night and didn't seemed phased by what seemed to me to be many failures on my part today.

Yes, there are worse things in the world than less than ideal clothes on picture day, missed naps, and long hours at the office instead of at the park. I know that. It doesn't change the fact that those things happen and often get the best of my attitude about my day. Then just when I get to feeling down about it, God prompts that little guy to wrap his arms around me as tight as he can so I can see just how loved I am despite my mistakes. What a great life God has blessed me with!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are a great mom everyday!I also think you should buy the pictures. There is no way Grayson can ever look anything short of adorable. I bet they come out great.

Jennifer Webster said...

You are an amazing mom! You're attentive and loving. I have done the same thing on picture day and I still ordered the pictures. Years from now, you can look back, laugh, and reminisce.

The Beaver Bunch said...

Ugh. Days like that make you question your own sanity and competence. Thank goodness our value is not found in the things we do but the ONE we serve.

Hope you are doing well.