A Lot About Us

A Lot About Us

About Me

My photo
We are the Caldwells. Justin, Nicole, our little guys, Grayson, Baylor, and Rowan, and our angel daughters, Faith and Avery.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

WHEW!

Boy am I tired!!! We are officially over 24 hours into potty boot camp and I am exhausted. After talking with several friends who potty trained earlier rather than later, I decided to give it a go. First because Grayson was showing interest in the potty and has gone on it (Number 1 and 2) several times in the past when given the opportunity to sit. Secondly, I like the idea of not having two in diapers and not having to potty train with a little baby around needing my attention as well. Lastly, Grayson has horrible skin and the doctor said the sooner we can get him out of diapers, the better.

Again I talked with several people, read some books, and looked up some stuff online. After sifting through all the information I decided to take the route we are on. My goal is four days of potty boot camp to get our little guy trained. Now, I am not set on this. I went into this prepared that if Grayson had no success and was miserable we would abandon ship, put the potty away, and not try again until late fall. I was prepared, but I was also determined. It is only that determination that has me hanging on at this point. Well, that and the pride in his face when he actually goes on the potty. That is priceless.

Boot camp basically means Grayson went straight from diapers to underwear. He is wearing only underwear all day long. Yes, that means we are staying home. He wears a pull-up at nap and during the night for obvious reasons, but during the day it is all big boy undies. We started with going to the potty every 10 minutes, then every 15, and now we are at every 20. Yes, I feel like I am living in the bathroom. Each visit lasts about 5 minutes (occasionally longer)and then we are right back in there 15 minutes after leaving. I tried 3 times today to move to 30 minutes and each time he had an accident at about the 22 minute mark. He does not go every time. Grayson sat on the potty 34 times today. He had 5 visits following an accident(after the accident we go to the potty to sit). He was dry the other 29 visits. 11 of the 29 dry visits resulted in pee in the potty! Two of those 11 visits where he had success, he asked to go all by himself. He gets a sticker if he is dry at potty time and a Smartie after he sits on the potty. Once he is going more consistently he will only get the Smartie for going and not just for sitting there.

He is having success. I did have a moment of frustration today thinking that I may never be able to go longer than 20 minutes between potty visits without risking an accident, but then felt encouraged after asking some early potty training gurus and hearing that he was doing great for only being at this one full day. I have talked with several women who had their almost 2 year old kiddos potty trained in one weekend. I am prepared to go at this for four days, but then I have to get back to life as usual. So, it is still to be seen how this will all turn out. I would love to be posting on Tuesday that Grayson is fully day potty trained (nights and nap will not come for some time), but will remain positive if we are still having difficulties.

I have never prayed so hard over bathroom issues in all of my life. Prayer and help from God is the only way I am maintaining the patience and energy to keep at this. Feel free to offer up an extra request for our potty adventures during your next talk with the Big Guy. We need all the help we can get.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you guys are doing great. I believe you & Grayson can do it. I will send some potty prayers your way over the next few days.