A Lot About Us

A Lot About Us

About Me

My photo
We are the Caldwells. Justin, Nicole, our little guys, Grayson, Baylor, and Rowan, and our angel daughters, Faith and Avery.

Friday, February 12, 2010

PRAYER REQUEST

We are really working hard to help Grayson develop prayer times with God. It is important to spend time talking with our Father every day. For that reason we not only pray over meals, but we also pray in the car on the way to school, before bed, and at any point during the day that we take the notion.

More recently we have tried to include Grayson in the prayer. This means we try to get him to repeat parts of the prayer after us or suggest things that we should pray for. During our prayers we praise, thank, and petition and always start with the praise and thanking first. So, for the past few mornings on our way to school I have asked Grayson, "What should we thank God for today?" He doesn't come up with his own suggestions so I end up saying things like, "Should we thank God for the sunshine?", "Should we thank God for our warm house?", or maybe "Should we thank God for a car to ride to school in?" Grayson never says "no" to my suggestions. He typically responds with "Yep". Then we go through what we need to ask of God. "Should we ask God for a good day?", "Should we ask God to help you to be a good listener and obedient to your teachers?", or maybe "Should we ask God to give your teachers patience and understanding?" All get a "yep" from the backseat. Then I pray all the things we talked about. Grayson keeps his hands folded and nods his yep all the way through. Then we say "Amen" together.

This week Grayson did not say "Amen" after the "In Jesus' name we pray". I look to the backseat and he says, "Mama pay pay". I ask, "Do you want to pray for Mama". He didn't respond so I say a quick prayer for my day. When I am finished he again does not say "Amen". Instead he says, "No. Pay Peyt." Then I got what that little angel meant. He wanted me to pray for Peyt, his cousin. I said, "Oh, pray for Peyton?" He said "yep" and we started our prayer for Peyton. When I finished he said a very excited "AMEN!"

I can't tell you how it warmed my heart to see him grasping the idea of prayer a little more and responding to the call to pray for someone else. I believe God speaks to everyone, even the smallest among us. I am certain God placed in Grayson's heart the love for his cousin and desire to pray for him. It just doesn't get any better than seeing God in your child's heart.

And just so you know, he has suggested we pray for Peyt every morning since.

No comments: