A Lot About Us

A Lot About Us

About Me

My photo
We are the Caldwells. Justin, Nicole, our little guys, Grayson, Baylor, and Rowan, and our angel daughters, Faith and Avery.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

2 POINT 2

Today is April 28, 2010. On April 29, 2009, while pregnant with Faith and Avery, I was put on bed rest after visiting my doctor and realizing my water broke four days prior. That was almost a year ago.

Today I went for my regular visit with Dr. B. Two weeks ago he was not pleased with the length of my cervix and asked me to take it easy. Today's appointment did not go well. My cervix measured 2.2. Two weeks ago I measured three. Three to five is normal, anything below 2.5 requires bed rest, and anything below 1.7 means my doctor will put me in the hospital. I am officially on bed rest. For the next four weeks and I have been instructed to do NOTHING except stay in the bed or on the couch, shower as needed, and go to my OB appointments. Sound familiar? Yes, we did this one year ago. At least this time I am not going into something unfamiliar. I have done bed rest before.

Am I freaking out a little? Yes, but for different reasons this time. I feel pretty confident that our baby is safe and healthy. I just need to keep him in there a little longer and he needs to turn back to the head down position. He was head down at my last appointment and I expected him to stay that way. During the last two weeks he turned back over. Now he is feet down. Labor with feet down equals a c-section. Dr. B basically said no bed rest would likely (who knows how likely his "likely" is) result in labor and delivery in the next two weeks. A baby here before 32 weeks gestation faces a whole ton a risks and possible complications. Delivery before 32 weeks also means we have to deliver at Duke. Given the history we have there, I prefer not to go back and relive that experience. So the point of the bed rest is to keep this little bun in the oven a little longer to get bigger and to give him the opportunity to turn back to the head down position. The first goal is to get to 34 weeks. Then we will hope to get to 36 weeks, which is full term and good. 40 weeks would be amazing. 36 weeks is only 5 1/2 weeks away. I can totally do that!

The stress this time around is less related to the pregnancy and more related to the bed rest. Again, I am confident we will meet our baby in the next 4-10 weeks and he will be healthy and perfect when he arrives. It is the bed rest part that is stressful.

The coming weeks on our calendar are insanely demanding both personally and professionally. Personally we have some major things going on. Next weekend is my brother-in-law's wedding. This is the first wedding Grayson is in and now I can't be there. That same weekend is Mother's Day and Faith and Avery's birthday. The weekend after I was hoping to host a tea party in memory of Faith and Avery to honor their first birthday. Additionally we have about 5 other social gatherings and special occasions to attend in the coming weeks to include birthday parties, preschool events, baby showers, and the list goes on and on. It also happens that things at work are about as busy as they have ever been and are expected to stay that way for the unforeseeable future. This is the worst possible time for me to be out. Then there is the fact that I have a two-year old. Grayson is no longer in day care, nor is that an option for us right now. He attends preschool on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and he stays with our friend, Bryce, on Mondays. Other than that he is my responsibility during the week days because Justin needs to be at work every day. Additionally I recently committed to keeping two other children on Fridays. Finally there are all the other regular responsibilities of laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, and the general management of the household. As I have said before, I have two full time jobs. I run a business full time and I am an almost full time stay at home mom. That is a tough balance always. It seems impossible to face bed rest with all of those responsibilities hanging over me, but that is what is required.

I have already adopted the motto, Don't Panic. One the way home from the doctor, as I was freaking out, a truck cut me off. I was annoyed until I read the bumper sticker. It said, "Don't stress, God's in control". Thanks God! He always knows just what we need to see and hear. The reality is that I am going to have to give up all the events on our calendar. I can't be there. My job right now is to get this baby to at least 34 weeks and that has to be my focus. Everyone will understand that I can't be at their wedding, birthday, shower, gathering, party, etc. The tea party can wait and it may have to wait until next year. Everyone knows that we love our daughters and we can celebrate their birthday here at home as a family if that is all that is possible. As far as work goes, that can be done from home. I have done work on bed rest before and I can do it again. I have some amazing people on my team at work and things there will be fine. Anything that requires my attention at the office can be handled from my house with a little extra planning and different organizing. The home responsibilities? Well, I have an amazing husband, son, family, and group of friends. We will need help, but things will be fine and things will be taken care of.

Most importantly, God is in control. He NEVER gives us anything we can't handle. Yes, I type that because I need that reminder. I have caught myself forgetting that fact a million times today, but it remains the Truth. Yes, prayers would be greatly appreciated. Pray for a healthy baby in 4-10 weeks, things to run smoothly at work and home, and for me to keep my stress level low.

7 comments:

skye said...

Praying for you! Take it easy -- but I know that's easier said than done with a toddler in the house! If I can help in anyway -- please let me know. And I mean that! I am going to msg you my numbers.
I can provide some meals if that would make life easier for you!

Kim said...

Hello, bed rest buddy! I'm glad that this time your bed rest isn't quite as scary and the stresses are different. That has to be a relief. We can lament losses of freedom and delight in God's amazing providence together. Take care of yourself!!

A said...

Praying for you and Baby boy! Also trying to remind myself daily that God is in control and that stressing will not change his plan. Thank you for the reminder and thank you for all of your comments over these months- you have no idea how much they mean to me.

Unknown said...

oh nicole.... i am so sorry... but I am PRAISING GOD that you are 30 weeks!! THANK you JESUS! Nicole, i love you and I think the world of you... we will keep praying for your little fella to STAY PUT!
love you girl... i will tell you like I tell myself, just enjoy all this time you get to spend in God's word!

cjsmith said...

I will for sure be praying for you!! Hang in there. I know you'll be alright. You and your faith are very strong!!

bri said...

Wow... praying for you. I am so sorry you have to be there. I am NOT a fan of bed rest and your post brings me back to some very unfriendly memories... which makes me pray HARD for you and your sweet baby boy!

I know many probably say this... but in all TRUTH, I wish I lived close to help out too :).

The Caldwells said...

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and kindness. I am so blessed by each one of you.