A Lot About Us

A Lot About Us

About Me

My photo
We are the Caldwells. Justin, Nicole, our little guys, Grayson, Baylor, and Rowan, and our angel daughters, Faith and Avery.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

YOU NEED A JOB!

Some people find the way we are raising our children different or interesting. I feel like we are raising our children the way God has called us to. A lot of what I am referring to comes from the book "Sheperding a Child's Heart". It is a great book on parenting God's way and I recommend it to all parents. I have read it twice and will probably read it again in another 6 months or so. It motivates me to be a better parent.

As parents we are working to bring up children who seek God's heart and will for their lives. Part of living in God's will is following His commandments and striving to live in a way that is pleasing to Him. When Grayson requires discipline we explain why what he has done is wrong and we always try to base our expectations on biblical principles.

Grayson has also started to ask "why?" after EVERY statement I make. Our parenting goals and all of the why questions have led us into a lot of teaching moments lately. Even though I know that he doesn't have a firm unerstanding of all the words, we use terms like obedient, kindness, generousity, truth, etc. with Grayson. I want him to have heard these terms all along so that he understands them as soon as his sweet mind can wrap around those big concepts. So yes, we say things like "God expects children to obey their parents" when we discipline Grayson for not listening (that is the part that some people find different or interesting).

Today Grayson was eating his lunch. Today I worked from home. While Grayson was eating he announces, "Mommy, you need a job!" What?!?!? I look over and see that he is very serious. I respond with, "Mommy has a job" to which he replies, "My job pick up my toys. What you job?" Ah ha!!! It is sticking. He IS understanding. I can't tell you how many times I have said to Grayson that it is his job to pick up his toys. That conversation goes something like this,
Me: Grayson, pick up your toys.
Grayson: Mommy why?
Me: Because it is your job?
Grayson: Why me job mommy?
Me: Because we all have jobs and responsibilities and God expects for us to do those jobs with a glad heart. You should be thankful that God has blessed you with these toys and you need to take good care of them. It is your job to take care of your toys and clean them us when Mommy asks.

I have always assumed that the concept of a job might be over his head. Not at all! I responded today by saying, "Some of Mommy's jobs are here at home like making your lunch and washing your clothes. Mommy also works a job at her office and sometimes on the computer here at home." After I explained that I did indeed have a job Grayson looked over into the kitchen that had yet to be cleaned up from making lunch, pointed to the mess, and said, "Mommy, you need to clean you job". Oh boy, what are we getting into?

1 comment:

A said...

:) He makes me smile! How cute!! They are ALWAYS listening even when we think they arent :)