A Lot About Us

A Lot About Us

About Me

My photo
We are the Caldwells. Justin, Nicole, our little guys, Grayson, Baylor, and Rowan, and our angel daughters, Faith and Avery.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

ONE WEEK

Baylor was one week old yesterday. I put off posting until today because he didn't have his one week check-up until today. It has been a fast and eventful week to say the least. I can't believe our little guy has been here with us for a week already.
Obviously part of the week went by quickly while we were in the hospital. Those days just run all together anyway. It doesn't matter day or night time just ticks by with the seemingly constant poking and prodding of the nurses. We had some pretty great nurses in the hospital and one not-so-great nurse who refused to give me pain medicine and kept insisting my abdominal pain was gas and I just needed to "get up and walk around". WHAT?!?!? Gas, really? I am pretty sure I just had a baby removed through a big gash in my stomach and now have 18 staples holding that gash closed. The pain I was feeling most certainly wasn't related to that. No, it had to be gas. Whatever lady!
Baylor did great in the hospital and continues to do well at home. So far he is very mild tempered, just like his older brother. He doesn't cry unless he has a dirty diaper and occasionally when it is time to eat. He is already on a wonderful schedule where he eats every 3 hours and gets up during the night every 3-4 hours. During the day he stays awake to play after his feedings and then takes about a two hour nap before he next feeding. At night he goes right back to sleep after he eats. So far he has been a very easy baby. The only issues we have had so far is that he was borderline jaundiced and we had to get his billirubin (not sure about the spelling there) levels checked several times. The regular eating and pooping kept the levels below needing intervention. He eats regularly but he doesn't like to eat a lot so he actually lost weight between his weight check on Sunday and today. Only 6 ounces but he did loose. I am going to work a little harder to get him to eat longer at each feeding and see if we can't remedy that.
He and Grayson are the same in some ways and different in some. He seems to be laid back like Grayson was and just as content. Grayson always pooped out of his diapers. Baylor keeps the poop in, but is like Houdini when it comes to getting the pee out. We change his outfit at least four times per day. Grayson never liked to sleep on his back and couldn't sleep more than 5 minutes that way. Baylor seems very content sleeping on his back. Grayson didn't get a pacifier until he was 2 weeks old and even then didn't really use it that much. Baylor has had a pacifier since day two in the hospital because he constantly wants to have something in his mouth. So although they look a lot alike and are equally easy babies (so far at least) they are also very different.
Grayson has been wonderful with Baylor. He is very helpful and just LOVES his baby brother. Even though everyone else calls him "Baylor", Grayson still calls him "baby brother" which, I think is just adorable. Grayson gets in the crib at night to say bedtime prayers with baby brother, he helps give him his bath, and he sits on the changing table every chance he gets for diaper changes and wardrobe changes. Today Grayson left (for the first time since Baylor was born) to stay the night with his Nanny and Grandpa. This morning I explained to Grayson that they were coming to visit and that he could go home with them for the night if he wanted. He asked if baby brother could go and I explained that brother had to stay here with mommy. Grayson responded "I stay here". So cute that he didn't want to go away without his brother. Now that all changed when Nanny and Grandpa got here. He was very quickly persuaded to go to their house. Which, by the way, it feels super strange not to have both of my boys here. I have enjoyed the opportunity to get some extra rest, but I can't wait for my little boy to get back tomorrow.
Speaking of rest, we have had some amazing help the last week. My dad, Sue, and Brooke were here with Grayson while we were in the hospital. We had one night here just as a family and then my mom came for the weekend. Justin's mom and Jack were here helping on Monday and Tuesday and my dad and Sue were here again today for part of the day to help me get Baylor to his doctor's appointment. We have been so blessed!

No comments: